Tuesday 24 March 2020

QRP Guys Multi Z Tuner completed

Carrying over from yesterday the last thing I had to do with the tuner construction was to wind and install the transformer.  There are 3 windings on this transformer: a primary with a center tap and 2 secondary windings of different sizes.  I wound it all up once but it was too sloppy so I removed all the windings and made it a lot tidier and tighter.  Below are the 3 stages of installing the first, second and third windings.



 Once that was wound I had to ensure all the enamel was off the leads and tin them.  I then fed them through the appropriate holes.  When I did this the first time I saw that there was some enamel still not scraped off so I pulled it back off the board and did a better job of stripping the enamel with the Xacto knife.  I then reinstalled it in the holes and soldered them in place.




Now the final touch was to install the PCB washer to hold the transformer in place and put the rubber feet on the back.



I have also included the circuit design which is also available in the assembly instructions on the Multi Z Tuner page on the QRP Guys' website.  




My next step now is to build my doublet and get it up in the air.  That will be happening in the next week or 2 weather permitting.

Cheers for now,
72/73 de Scott 

No comments:

Post a Comment